Thursday, June 24, 2010

G8...Gr8?

Between the natural world throwing us an earthquake yesterday, last night's tornado off to the southwest of me, severe thunderstorm warnings here this morning (which amounted to only heavy rain, thankfully), and all the security and shenanigans associated with the G8, things here have been rather interesting lately.

Yesterday my kids came home excited to tell me about the military helicopter that landed across from the school and how everyone in a couple classroom portables abandoned their desks and ran outside for a better look. I guess some guy told them to get back and it took off again. The kids got a talking to from their teacher too.

And yesterday three very loud helicopters flew over the house a couple times. Those things are loud! The wildlife in my backyard was not too impressed. The low flying copters scared at least one heron and a turtle. I initially put the quake shake down to another flyover. Oops!

I know these things are necessary with an event such as the G8 and the important people attending it, but it's a very odd juxtaposition to have such a technological military/security presence in such a rural region known for being a get-away-from-it-all vacation destination. Makes me appreciate the time when the peepers were my biggest noise complaint:



And I am fortunate that things will return to normal in just a matter of days.

G8?
Gr8
2 appreciate
1's normal state

2 comments:

LMacL said...

Love the final poem! If you want to get away from it all, just come and visit me. Er, no, that won't work... Can't wait until things get back to normal (?) on Monday.

Unknown said...

Thanks! Hope things get back to normal for you soon, too. Imagine... everyone looking forward to a Monday. :>