Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Did the SCBWI Canada East Spring Thing!

I finally have a bit of time to breathe. I have to say what a great time I had at the SCBWI Canada East Spring Thing. I mostly have my voice back again. There's something really energizing about spending time with others who write or illustrate for kids. (I only do the writing thing because I can't illustrate my way out of a mud puddle.) I checked into the same room I had last year. Still has that iron burn mark on the carpet. You know, there's gotta be a story there! Of course, I didn't get a picture of it again this year. But I did remember to take a few general pictures. They're not great. My camera doesn't do a great job of interior shots.

We gathered at the Kempenfelt Conference Centre to hear (left to right) Kathy Lowinger of Tundra Books, Karen Li of Kids Can Press, and Lisa Graff of Farrar Straus & Giroux. What generous and knowledgeable speakers! I came away with many ideas on how to snip, spruce up, and get going on the various manuscripts I have kicking around my computer.
I will remember the weekend for meeting new people, catching up with old friends, forcing everyone to have to listen to my hoarse croaking voice, reassuring one and all that I've never been to Mexico in my entire life, watching the torrential downpours and wind whipped pines, eating too much food, drinking too much coffee, and mostly for learning and laughing a lot.

Because I head the organization for the event I want to shout my personal thanks to those who helped me: Alma Fullerton, Christine Tripp, Michelle Jodoin, Rachel Eugster. Without you ladies it wouldn't have happened! THANKS!

So that's just my quick take on things. The "official" event wrap up will be posted at the SCBWI Canada Chapter site soon.

No comments: